This is one drink that has weathered all the storms and as the cliché goes “Bacche Bacche ki zubaan par charra hua hai yeh naam” Rooh Afza.
Rooh Afza is a popular drink in India, Pakistan and now also in Bangladesh.
Image Courtesy: Delhi Walla
Now since summers are here and we may find it back on the shelves of most Kitchens’, we thought to share a few Interesting Facts of Rooh Afza.
- It was founded in 1906 and invented by Hakeem Hafiz Abdul Majeeb.
- One of its Ads said “When the Motor Car was on its way in and the Horse Buggy on its way out. Rooh Afza was there” And today too it’s here in the age of Super Sonic jets and Tesla.
Source: Live Mint
- In spite of innumerable New Soft Drinks and Packed Juices being launched every year, Rooh afza has still been growing at a healthy rate of 20% in past few years.
- In 2007, US-based Saveur Magazine considered Rooh Afza No. 10 in its Top 100 Food & Drinks list from around the world.
- Annual Sales of Rooh Afza is Rs 200 Crore.
- Sales of Rooh Afza increases considerably during month of Ramzan as most Muslims drink Rooh Afza to end their fasts in the holy month.
- Though there are many stories around the name. But the most prominent ones are as below.
a) Rooh means soul, Afza means big. It pumps your soul in summers when you get hit by harsh heat of sun and feels like you’re dying. It refreshes your Rooh (Soul) and makes it big, makes it Re-live.
b) The king of heaven had daughter name Rooh Afza, so Hakim Hafiz decided to name this sherbet on her.
While sipping this coolest drink ek khayali duniya mai chala gaya aur ye vichaar aane lage to socha ye bhi share kardu!
Meri rooh ko jaane kis cheez ne apni aur kar liya
Na bas chale mera ye kesa ajeeb mod diya
Na phoolo ki khushbu ab meharbaan lagti hai
Bina tere oh sharbat-e-khas zindagi imtehaan lagti hai
Ya mita de us saaye ko barse jo is garmiyaan
Mujhe jaanat ke ghoot kuch is kadar pila de
Meri Rooh ko Afza se milwa de
Meri Rooh ko Afza se milva de..
“Never has there been a sharbat like Rooh Afza, and never will be there.